Dedicated to removing any and every barrier we find
Mixed Blood has invited the global village into its audience and onto its stage to experience its unique brand of challenging, inclusive, and predictably unpredictable theatre since 1976. The company was founded by Jack Reuler.
A winner of numerous awards for its human rights and artistic accomplishments, Mixed Blood celebrates differences and champion access. Mixed Blood achieves its mission through strategic programming at its own Alan Page Auditorium, within its Cedar Riverside neighborhood, and in off-site locations throughout the Twin Cities Metro area and the State of Minnesota.
Throughout its 45 years, Mixed Blood has been sustained by its adaptability and relationships. Programming has grown to include disability communities, immigrant and refugee populations, Minnesota Latinx, Transgender and biracial Twin Citians, and the East African Muslims that reside in proximity to Mixed Blood’s converted firehouse home.
- Ivey Awards for Outstanding Production (Twin Cities theatre awards)
- ARC Twin Cities Changemaker Award
- Actors’ Equity’s Rosetta LeNoire Award
- Minnesota Council of Non-Profits’ Mission Award for Anti-Racist Initiatives (twice)
- Ordway’s Sally Award for Vision
- Minneapolis Department of Human Rights Award for Outstanding Achievement in Civil and Human Rights
- Minneapolis Foundation’s Diversity Award
- City Pages’s Best Theatre, Best Theatre for Comedy, Best Theatre for Drama
- StarTribune’ Best Theatre, Best Theatre for Diversity, Best Theatre Facility
- Theatre Communication Group’s Peter Zeisler Award
- United Negro College Fund’s Local Legend
- Actors’ Equity’s Spirit Award
- Macalester College’s Distinguished Citizen Award