REPORTS TO: Managing Director
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time Exempt
ABOUT MIXED BLOOD THEATRE COMPANY
Using theater to disrupt injustice, model equity, and create community, Mixed Blood Theatre has invited the global village into its audience and onto its stage for its unique brand of challenging, inclusive, and predictably unpredictable theatre since 1976. Winner of numerous awards for its human rights and artistic accomplishments, Mixed Blood pays positive attention to differences and champions access; its ground-breaking commitment to access, Radical Hospitality, is nationally renowned. Located in the Minneapolis’ Cedar Riverside neighborhood, Mixed Blood is a point of assembly for residents and organizations and leads audiences to a much larger world, spawning a ripple effect of social change. Mixed Blood has no debt, owns its own facility, and has an operating reserve.
Using theater to illustrate and animate, Mixed Blood models pluralism in pursuit of interconnections, shared humanity, and engaged citizenry
As a beacon for the global village of Minnesota and beyond, Mixed Blood will champion equity and animate social change through exceptional artistry, catalytic relationships, and universal access.
Radical Hospitality is core to Mixed Blood’s organizing principles. We model reciprocity, inclusion, and genuine welcoming to build relationships. We seek to make theatre beneficial by engaging with individuals and communities for whom theatre and the arts have not been available due to lack of resources, racism, physical accessibility, gender discrimination, or other barriers. We strive to ensure that the nature, content, and practices embedded in our work are founded in integrity and equity, and engage the breadth and depth of our many communities.
The Director of Marketing & Communications supports the highest strategic priorities of the organization, activates the principles of Radical Hospitality, and serves as a member of Mixed Blood’s senior leadership team. They will focus on growing new community partnerships and audiences, while retaining and deepening relationships with current ones in pursuit of social change through artistic expression. Employing imaginative engagement techniques in addition to effective marketing and communication efforts, the Director of Marketing & Communications develops and executes strategies to activate audiences, partnerships, and community members while leading through the lens of Equity, Anti Racism and Social Justice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
▪ Create and direct strategic marketing plans & external communications for the organization and its programming, including print, web, visual/signage, social media, and other electronic methods.
▪ Establish and execute both short-range and long-range marketing strategies to support participation objectives.
▪ Develop and Implement media relations plans and outreach efforts, including building relationships with local and national media.
▪ Maintain and make regular updates to the Theatre website.
▪ Realize earned revenue goals via marketing and sales strategies including group sales.
▪ Collaborate with the Artistic Director and Managing Director to establish brand standards that raise visibility and awareness of the company and Radical Hospitality, particularly with desired communities.
▪ Ensure consistent, coordinated materials throughout the organization, across all programmatic & administrative areas.
▪ Serve as the point of contact for Mixed Blood Theatre members and audiences.
▪ Hire and oversee box office and concessions staff.
▪ Identify, create, and maintain strategic community partnerships.
▪ Oversee digital records of all stakeholders via Salesforce and internal tracking – donors, patrons, artists, etc.
▪ Participate in strategic oversight for CRM software and planning to ensure the competence of its users
▪ Create and analyze reports on attendance/participation and advise how to grow current patron base.
This job description is not exhaustive and is subject to review in conjunction with the post holder and according to future changes/developments. The employee may be required to perform duties outside of this description as operationally required and at the discretion of the Managing Director when applicable.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTES
Our ideal candidate demonstrates a core belief in and practice of the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion; is a change agent, creative community connector, committed team builder, and energetic self-starter with the following attributes:
▪ Knowledge and appreciation of theatre and the performing arts
▪ Experience with InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, or a similar photo editing software
▪ Facility with standard computer applications, especially Google Drive, MailChimp, WordPress, and Microsoft Office Suite
▪ Working knowledge of database management
▪ Experience managing a variety of social media platforms while maintaining a unique organizational voice
▪ Finely tuned interpersonal and group dynamics
▪ Excellent written and verbal communications skills
▪ Creative, methodological process orientation
Special Hours Requirements: Work schedule varies and includes frequent evening and weekend hours as well as many weeks in which more than 40 hours are required.
▪ Minimum of (4) years demonstrated ability to manage community engagement and marketing and communications
▪ Previous experience working in the performing arts or theatre
▪ Previous staff management experience
▪ Relevant experience in community organizing and coordination
Mixed Blood Theatre is committed to advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. MBT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Successful candidates will commit to an equitable and inclusive workplace, including but not limited to: racial equity, accessibility for individuals with disabilities, use of gender inclusive language, and cultural sensitivity.
Please introduce yourself and share your resume with us at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 20, 2020.