Reports to: Artistic Director (AD)
Works with: Board of Directors (BOD)
Direct reports: 5 to 6 [FTEs & PTEs]
Status: Full-time Exempt
ABOUT MIXED BLOOD THEATRE
Using theater to disrupt injustice, model equity, and create community, Mixed Blood Theatre has invited the global village into its audience and onto its stage for its unique brand of challenging, inclusive, and predictably unpredictable theatre since 1976. Winner of numerous awards for its human rights and artistic accomplishments, Mixed Blood pays positive attention to differences and champions access; its ground-breaking commitment to access, Radical Hospitality, is nationally renowned. Located in the Minneapolis’ Cedar Riverside neighborhood, Mixed Blood is a point of assembly for residents and organizations and leads audiences to a much larger world, spawning a ripple effect of social change. Mixed Blood has no debt, owns its own facility, and has an operating reserve.
MISSION STATEMENT: Using theater to illustrate and animate, Mixed Blood models pluralism in pursuit of interconnections, shared humanity, and engaged citizenry
VISION STATEMENT: As a beacon for the global village of Minnesota and beyond, Mixed Blood will champion equity and animate social change through exceptional artistry, catalytic relationships, and universal access.
Radical Hospitality is core to Mixed Blood’s organizing principles. We model reciprocity, inclusion, and genuine welcoming to build relationships. We seek to make theatre beneficial by engaging with individuals and communities for whom theatre and the arts have not been available due to lack of resources, racism, physical accessibility, gender discrimination, or other barriers. We strive to ensure that the nature, content, and practices embedded in our work are founded in integrity and equity, and engage the breadth and depth of our many communities.
POSITION SUMMARY – Managing Director
The Managing Director (MD) manages all of Mixed Blood’s administrative, human resources and operations functions; cultivates resources supporting the theatre’s social justice-rooted mission and vision; nurtures reciprocity, inclusion, and openness among the staff; and oversees brand & marketing management. The MD is a thought partner to the Artistic Director (AD) in developing and implementing strategies at all levels of the organization. The MD position requires strong planning, analysis, fundraising, management, and finance skills. The MD oversees strategic planning and implementation in partnership with the AD and the Board of Directors, supports the Board through reporting and communications, and serves on Board committees as appropriate. The ideal candidate can represent and speak clearly about the mission, vision, and values of Mixed Blood and its programming and aspirations to effect cultural change.
▪ Lead annual budgeting process
▪ Create forecast and cash flow projections; manage cash flow and monitor spending to budget
▪ Supervise A/P, A/R and payroll; manage A/R, including collections
▪ Oversee financial reporting and annual audit; provide reports as needed to staff, board, and outside entities
▪ Adhere to sound financial management policies and strategies, and establish new as necessary
▪ Manage and invest assets in consultation with AD and BOD
▪ Oversee development strategy creation, in partnership with the Development Director; and input from select staff
▪ Cultivate and oversee that all major gifts and institutional funding relationships remain healthy
▪ Guide the creation, management and monitoring of a donor relations/individual giving plan
▪ Oversee event planning for donors, members, and other stakeholders
Brand/Marketing Management & External Communications
▪ Frame and direct how Mixed Blood’s brand is reflected to stakeholders in support of the mission
▪ Maintain organization brand guidelines and ensure staff and contractors leverage as appropriate
▪ Fuse Mixed Blood’s notion of Radical Hospitality within all key operations
▪ Manage all insurance(s), licenses, and regulatory compliance
▪ Execute legal contracts: facilities, union, personnel, vehicle leasing, lodging leases, storage, materials licensing, etc.
▪ Oversee facilities/property management
▪ Maintain service organization memberships
Human Resources Management
▪ Supervises Marketing/Communications Director, Development Director, and Bookkeeper
▪ Establish and review core work plans and assignments and help direct staff priorities on an ongoing basis
▪ Support direct report’s attainment of goals by providing internal and or external resources
▪ Ensure a supportive work environment by fostering culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity.
▪ Oversee recruitment and hiring, and performance management processes including documentation
This job description is not exhaustive and is subject to review in conjunction with the post holder and according to future changes/developments. The employee may be required to perform duties outside of this description as operationally required and at the discretion of the Artistic Director when applicable.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTES
Our ideal candidate demonstrates a core belief in and practice of the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion; is a change agent, creative community connector, committed team builder, and energetic self-starter with the following attributes:
▪ Min. of 3 years non-profit management experience; demonstrated ability to manage time, tasks, money, quality and staff of at least 3 persons
▪ Demonstrated strength in non-profit financial management, including creation/use of non-profit financial reports
▪ Fundraising experience and acumen with proven results;
▪ Successful track record of identifying, cultivating, and soliciting contributions with strong interpersonal skills
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills
▪ Ability to navigate interpersonal and group dynamics and in setting a positive work environment
▪ Creative, methodological process orientation and strong analytical skills
▪ Ability to set strategic direction and execute such strategy effectively
▪ Positive, entrepreneurial spirit
▪ Hands-on, detail-oriented mentality
▪ Self-motivated, collaborative, organized, able to manage multiple priorities
▪ Working knowledge of database management
Mixed Blood Theatre is committed to advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. MBT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Successful candidates will commit to an equitable and inclusive workplace, including but not limited to: racial equity, accessibility for individuals with disabilities, use of gender inclusive language, and cultural sensitivity.
Please introduce yourself and share your resume with us at email@example.com by November 20, 2020